Today, the challenge is to name the songwriter of a snippet of lyrics from a notable song.
Pop Culture Wake-Up Call is a weekly quiz about either movies, TV or music (plus I’ll throw a comic book one in there now and again, perhaps more frequently if you folks would like, maybe even a “potpourri” one in the future).
I’ll disable comments for these quizzes. You just e-mail me your answers (I don’t think I need to tell you to not use Google) at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll post the answers to this week’s quiz along with the person who got the most correct (multiple people if there is a tie) in a comment on the original quiz.
THEY WRITE THE WORDS…
The following are small snippets of songs written by notable rock lyricists. Name the writer of each line of music (note that I am asking for the actual writer, so if the song is by a band, name me who literally wrote the song, so if I quote from “Something,” I wouldn’t want “The Beatles,” I’d want “George Harrison.” Enjoy!
1. “Fundamental differing, pure intention juxtaposed, will set two lovers souls in motion, disintegrating as it goes “
2. “Give me your hungry, your tired, your poor, that’s what the Statue of Bigotry says. Your poor huddled masses, let’s just club them to death, and get it over with.”
3. “If you want to find out what’s behind these cold eyes, you’ll just have to claw your way through this disguise. “
4. “I used to be mad at my school, the teachers that taught me weren’t cool. You’re holding me down, turning me around, filling me up with your rules.”
5. “There’s an opera out on the turnpike, there’s a ballet being fought out in the alley.”
6. “I’ll sit on cornerstones and count the time in quarter tones to ten my friend”
7. “We’ll be fighting in the streets with our children at our feet and the morals that we worship will be gone. “
8. “In this bright future, you can’t forget your past. “
9. “Music is your special friend, dance on fire as it intends. “
10. “Yesterday love was such an easy game for you to play. But now let’s face it, things are so much easier today. Let it be like yesterday. “
11. “You lack lust; you’re so lackluster “
12. “Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind possessing and caressing me “
13. “My bitter hands grate on broken glass of what was everything. All the pictures have all been washed in black, tatooed everything “
14. “I lit a thin green candle to make you jealous of me, but the room just filled up with mosquitoes. “
15. “People don’t do what they believe in, they just do what’s most convenient, then they repent. “
16. “Something’s lost, but something’s gained, in living everyday. “ 17. “Poor woman, strangled in her bed as she read. But that’s okay because she was old and she would have died anyways. “
18. “I dreamed I saw the silver spaceships flying in the yellow haze of the sun. There were children crying and colors flying all around the chosen ones. “
19. “You can’t stop us on the road to freedom, you can’t stop us cause our eyes can see. “
20. “When you’re weary, feeling small, when tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all. “
Good luck and have fun!